What is BHA? (β-hydroxy/salicylic acid)
BHA or β-hydroxy/salicylic acid can penetrate the deeper layers of the skin and the pores to remove dead skin cells and excess sebum. Salicylic acid, the most common BHA is one of the most effective ingredients that can control sebum production, improve skin tone, calm and soothe the skin.
Because it’s especially effective for exfoliating the area of acne and blackheads, BHA is particularly well-suited for people who tend to have acne, oily and sensitive skin.
Exfoliation is physically or chemically removing dead skin cells in the stratum corneum.
Skin’s monthly cycle takes approximately 28-day for the average. Skin cell turnover gets even slower in our 40’s and 50’s. Without proper exfoliation, dead skin cells and bacteria become trapped on the outer surface of the skin causing breakouts. Furthermore, it gives the skin a chance to have a dull and uneven texture. Most importantly, exfoliate physically/chemically 3 times a week to accelerate cellular turnover and make your skin smoother!
1. Hydrating is super essential!
- If you constantly exfoliate without applying a hydrating moisturizer, it can leave your skin sensitive and over dry. The most important part of exfoliating is to give your skin ultra-hydration to protect your sensitive skin.
2. BHA, also called salicylic acid, has a similar source to aspirin. If you are allergic to aspirin, you must avoid using BHA products!
3. If you are one of the first-time users, you can experience “purging phase” depending on your skin condition. Feeling tingling and an increase in dead skin cells & troubles are natural things to happen. You may need to apply your BHA product once or twice per week. The reactions should only last for 1~3 weeks. If your skin still has negative reactions after 3 weeks, you should stop using BHA products immediately.
4. Do not forget to apply sunscreen for your morning skincare routine!
BHA in the skincare products
–PURITO BHA Dead Skin Moisture Gel
- The pH level of PURITO BHA Dead Skin Moisture Gel is 3.5 ± 0.5.
BHA works best when the pH value of the BHA is between 3 and 4. If the pH value of the BHA goes over 4, it’s less effective or ineffective in exfoliating your skin and unclogging your pores. When the pH level is less than 3, it can irritate your skin.
- There is 3% of BHA in the BHA Dead Skin Moisture Gel.
Concentrations can range between 0.5 and 5 percent. Low concentrations of BHA may be able to help calm down sensitive skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties, which can have more success to reduce rosacea-related redness and general inflammation.