What is AHA? (α-Hydroxy acid/glycolic acid)
AHA, α-hydroxy acid/glycolic acid, is the most effective ingredient among other exfoliants. There are types of AHAs commonly used in skincare products. AHAs include citric acid, glycolic acid, mandelic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, tartaric acid. AHAs help melt the glue-like substances in the inner most layer of the skin that hold the skin cells together, therefore removing connections between them (helping skin’s natural shedding process). It allows the dead skin cells to peel off gently!
AHAs are preferred for sun-damaged skin because it exfoliates the uppermost layers of your skin’s surface instead of penetrating into your pores. AHAs are also good for dry skin since they are water soluble acids, which help stimulate the production of collagen and improve moisturizing power. If you have any signs of sensitive skin, you need to use AHA-containing products 1 to 2 times a week. Just listen to your skin first!
* Effects besides exfoliation?
1. Promoting collagen production and blood flow
- As you age, collagen production slows down, and it results to dull or sagging skin, clogged pores, and uneven skin tone. AHAs help promote collagen synthesis by destroying old cells to make new ones.
2. Minimizing appearance of surface lines and age spots
- AHAs are a great way to rejuvenate aging skin.
3. Brightening and evening out your skin texture.
- Because they promote new skin cell generation, you’ll likely notice that your skin is glossier than before.
4. Increasing other skincare products absorption
1. If you use AHA with a very high concentration, it may cause your skin extremely irritated.
The most appropriate concentration of AHA is around 8 to 10 percent (or lower depending on skin types).
2. AHA-containing products may increase your skin’s sensitivity to UV rays.
You need to use a sunscreen daily to protect your skin from sun exposure and to eliminate sunburn (up to one week afterwards).
AHA in the skincare products
– PURITO ABP Triple Synergy Liquid